At Hiltingbury, we provide a broad and balanced curriculum, which develops the whole child and brings to life our motto of 'Learning, Caring and Achieving Together'. We see our curriculum like a tree, with our curriculum drivers - 'Possibilities, Creativity, Diversity and Community' as the roots which bring the aims and values of our school to life and meet the needs of all children. Within the trunk, is our curriculum implementation; a coherent progression that is designed to ensure children acquire, develop and deepen the vital knowledge and skills for academic success, physical development and mental health and well-being. Our trunk is strengthened through the promotion of our 'Hiltingbury Heroes - Learner for Life Skills' and growth mindset approach. Within the many branches, memorable experiences, rich vocabulary, festivities, pupil voice, assemblies and celebrations are woven; which engage with children's natural curiosity whilst ensuring coverage of statutory requirements during your child's time with us. As a result, leaves grow and flourish as children bloom into successful learners, confident individuals and responsible citizens of the future.
Our curriculum is planned with the intention of promoting learning and the personal development for all children. This is underpinned by a set of drivers which are designed to bring the aims and values of our school to life and meet the needs of all our pupils. These drivers give our school its personality, supporting our ethos of ‘learning, caring and achieving together’.
Our curriculum will:
- Provide exciting and memorable experiences to ensure children are inspired to learn
- Ensure all children receive a full and varied curriculum which meets their personalised needs and interests; ensuring cultural capital for all
- Support children in acquiring high standards of English and maths knowledge and skills that can be applied in different contexts across the curriculum
- Ensure that knowledge and skills are taught progressively so that children build on what they already know and understand
- Teach children a range of strategies to help them retain information in their long term memory.
- Allow children to achieve depth to their learning by applying their knowledge and skills in a range of contexts and subjects
- Develop children with enquiring minds, who question the world around them with curiosity
- Extend learning beyond the classroom through engaging enrichment and extra-curricular opportunities
- Promote a growth mindset where no child is limited by adults or themselves.
- Teach children the essential learner for life skills as well as how to keep physically and mentally healthy
- Develop children’s personal and British values, qualities and attitudes so that they are respectful of other people and their beliefs, views and opinions
- Encourage children to be caring, responsible and active citizens who positively contribute to the local and wider community and environment
Our curriculum drivers are:
- Possibility: To have high aspirations for their personal and academic achievement both now and in the future. We believe that the development of aspirations encourages children to take pride in themselves and be the very best they can be. It is essential that our children are made aware of the range of possibilities that are available to them during their time with us, and beyond.
- Creativity: We value creativity and believe that a creative curriculum encourages children to be imaginative, innovative individuals with the confidence to try new ideas and be curious and questioning in the world around them.
- Diversity: To ensure our children have the ability to be reflective about their own beliefs and perspective on life, as well as knowledge of and respect for other people’s faiths, cultures feelings and values; thus, understanding that the world we live in is diverse.
- Community: Through our learner for life ‘Hiltingbury Heroes’, we ensure children are provided with opportunities to develop a range of life skills. We provide every opportunity for children to learn how to think creatively, work as a team, reflect, participate and research independently. We aim to give all children the opportunity to put their understanding of local issues into a global context, so that they see how their decisions can have an impact on others now and in the future.
Our curriculum has been designed to ensure children acquire, develop and deepen the vital knowledge and skills to ensure academic success, as well as physical development, mental health and well-being. Through the development of the whole child; we aim to prepare children for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life. We fully embrace the growth mindset approach which is the belief that all children can develop their knowledge, skills and understanding through deliberate practice and by responding to the precise feedback they receive. We are committed to providing a personalised curriculum with the individual child at the heart of everything we do. Learning is carefully sequenced so that new knowledge and skills build on what has been taught and understood before. We seek to ensure the crucial deepening of essential knowledge, skills and understanding through our curriculum design. We plan and organise our curriculum to ensure that children are not merely covering curriculum content but are achieving a depth to their learning which enables them to apply their skills and understanding across a range of contexts and subjects.
As a result, we support children in becoming:
- Successful learners who enjoy learning, make progress and achieve
- Confident individuals who are able to live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives
- Responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society